I consider many of us already know the meaning of SHSH blobs but for a better clarity let us discuss the meaning of SHSH blob. So, what is a SHSH blob?
The answer is “A SHSH blob is something that apple uses to verify the version of iOS that is being used on the devices.” To know in detail let us consider this meaning “A SHSH blob is a word used for small pieces of data which are the part of apple’s digital signature protocol for iOS restores and updates which in turn is proposed to control the iOS update versions which a user install on their devices such as iPhones, iPods, iPods etc.”
Generally, an SHSH blob is not an official word. This word is used in behalf of digital signatures, which are developed by apple, and this is used to personalize files for each apple device. This is developed by a hashing formula, which has different keys. These keys include the device type, iOS version, and 13 digits ECID that is a device’s unique identification number embedded in the software.
Why do we need the SHSH blobs?
Actually SHSH blobs are very necessary for jailbreakers and for those too who unlock devices such as iPhone in particular because some of the jailbreak are only valid for an older versions.
Why do we need to save the SHSH blobs?
Whenever, a new method of jailbreak is developed. Apple launch its new iOS update and if we accept that new update without saving our old data we will not be allowed to jailbreak our devices such as iPhones, iPods etc. and if we want to downgrade our device to the older version or firmware the device it will be next to impossible for many of us. So this is the place where SHSH blobs comes into the picture and therefore, It is very important to save SHSH blobs because if we update our device to the new firmware and did not save the old SHSH blob so we will loose our entire jailbreak and we cannot downgrade to our old firmware again to jailbreak the device.
How can we save a SHSH blobs?
However, in earlier times, saving SHSH blobs can be a difficult process to do but in present, it is modified and it is easy now. We can save our SHSH blobs in just few steps by which we can easily restore the older version on our devices. We just need a mac in which iTunes is installed and an USB cable to connect the devices.
We can use these following steps to save the SHSH blobs:
- Step 1 – is to connect the iPhone and the mac.
- Step2 – is to open the application named iTunes.
- Step 3 – is to find the iPhone icon on the top left corner of the screen and click on it.
- Step 4- is to copy the ECID number and convert it into hexadecimal type.
- Step 5 – is to paste the ECID number into its field.
- Step 6 – is to select the model identifiers from the list.
- Step 7 – is to check the “I am not a robot” box and submit it.
- Step 8 – is to click on the links of the blobs.
We can use TinyUmbrella too for saving the SHSH by following the steps below:
- First step – is to we have to download the TinyUmbrella software and run it on the device.
- Second step – is to make sure the device is detected.
- Third step – is to find the advanced options on the screen
- Fourth step – is to select the version of the firmware, which we want to save for future from the advanced options.
- Fifth step – is to click on the save my SHSH
- Sixth step – is to click on display SHSH that we have saved earlier.
To restore the SHSH blobs from TinyUmbrella following steps are to be followed:
- The first step is to we have to backup our device in iTunes.
- Next step is we have to open the software ”TinyUmbrella”.
- Next step is to clickon TSS server (online interface for TSS utility checker).
- Next step is to click and download the saved firmware, which we want to restore to the device.
- Next step is to open iTunes again and choose the method of restoring the firmware
- Next step is to click on the kick device out of the recovery (only if it pops up on the screen)
- Next step is to do synchronize.